Advertisement

Cigarette butts in metal can spark Kaukauna balcony fire

Crews put out a fire at an apartment building in Kaukauna. June 10, 2021
Crews put out a fire at an apartment building in Kaukauna. June 10, 2021(Kaukauna Fire Department)
Updated: Jun. 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KAUKAUNA, Wis. (WBAY) - A metal coffee with discarded cigarette butts caught fire and caused damage at an apartment building in Kaukauna Thursday morning.

At about 3:29 a.m., Kaukauna firefighters responded to 228 W. 12 Street for fire on a second story balcony.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the balcony before it spread to apartments. They used a bullet saw to remove two floor joists. That helped prevent spread, according to the fire department.

“The investigation revealed that the fire was started by a metal coffee can overfilled with discarded cigarettes that caught fire spread to the balcony,” reads a statement from the department. “The public is advised to be careful when discarding smoking materials and to make sure they are properly extinguished.”

No one was hurt.

The cost of damage is estimated at $500, according to the fire department.

Copyright 2021 WBAY. All rights reserved.